Thicken soups and other dishes by adding potato, a much better health choice than using flour as a thickener. Raw food diet principles suggest you puree the vegetables before cooking to release special nutrients in the cell walls and make them more completely digestible. This easy broccoli soup is delicious and satisfying.
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 medium red potatoes, cubed
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
4 stalks celery, cut to 1” pieces
6 cups fresh broccoli, including stems, chopped
1½ cups coconut milk
3 Tbs pasture butter
1. Heat oil on medium heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven.
2. Gently sauté onion and celery in oil for 3-4 minutes, until onion is softened.
3. Add potato and half the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
4. Allow potatoes and broth to cool slightly, transfer to a blender in 2-3 batches, and blend until smooth. Place blended batches back into the soup pot.
5. Blend raw broccoli and celery in batches with remaining broth, transfer to soup pot when blended.
6. Add coconut milk to soup mixture.
7. Heat gently until ready to serve.
[contact-form-7 id=”1693″ title=”Contact form recipe page”]
Copyright © 2013 Marie Sternquist. All Rights Reserved