Raw cacao nibs add a rich, dark chocolate crunch to these bars (cacao nibs are small pieces of the cacao bean–make sure they are raw and unsweetened–TerrAmazon carries a nice product available at Natural Pantry and other places throughout Anchorage) and tart-sweet goji berries contain lots of natural vitamin C, beta-carotene, and iron. According to folklore, goji berries improve attractiveness and increase energy. How fun!
These energy snacks are delicious and pack well for school snacks or hiking. Just remember, please, that even though you are using the whole date with its natural sugars complete with other vitamins and minerals, these treats are still high in sugar and you should exercise moderation in how many you eat.
1 Cup raw almonds
24 Deglet dates, pitted
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp sea salt
½ Cup goji berries
½ Cup raw unsweetened cacao nibs
1. Grind together the almonds and dates in your Magic bullet or food processor.
2. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the vanilla and sea salt.
3. Stir in the goji berries and cacao nibs.
4. Roll about a Tablespoon of mixture between your palms to form a tight ball.
5. Place the balls in an airtight container. They definitely keep unrefrigerated for a while. How long? Well, they never seem to last long enough for a definitive answer. But I’ve doubled and tripled this recipe and (hidden) they last for at least a week.